Sunday, November 11, 2012

YOP2013

Hello everyone!  Another week of YOP gone by..I am struggling to believe we are into November!

The cormorants are getting ready to migrate..and the Atlantic is always growling..


Anybody an insomniac?  I am..it is really not fun, but a lot of it comes from working the night shift for a very long time..and now that I actually can share a bed with hun..we realize that we don't like sleeping together..well, you know, in the same bed, at the same time!

We even got a fancy icomfort super duper, lots of money bed, a few months back..He sleeps like a baby..I'm up knitting,cooking, reading..etc.  He likes a flat bed, I sleep with my head elevated a bit..he stretches out, I curl up..I like to get into cold sheets...he has to have it warm..tho he does sleep commando..   Griz hates a warm house, so the whole house is kept cool and we just bundle up when chilly...  but I took pity on him and bought a new bedding set made of fleece...everything is made of fleece..sheet's,  pillowcases, and the duvet is a down alternative, (hey..save a goose!) wrapped in fleece...  the bed is now so soft and comfo.. it invites you in to snuggle up..
but it doesn't do a damn thing for me!  If it is 2 am, I'm awake!

For YOP, I started this sweater, my 1st ever for knitting..
It is from Berreco, but I an not using the recommended yarn..I'm trying to use up some cotton from my stash..I want to buy some new cotton I found on line..but can't till I use this up..so this is my attempt, it is supposed to be a very simple pattern..
This is the back completed..but I've read a couple of different things about blocking..I've read to block this now, before I start the front..then I'll know the exact size for the front panel..but I've also read just block out all the pieces together...  Anyone do this?  Is there a difference?

I also saw some really cute sock yarn, so I'm making a sockhead hat, from Bohoknits..trying to use up so old sock yarn..



I am not ready to tackle sock making again just yet..so I'm just getting used to working with such a small fiber...

This is mindless knitting..just miles of stockinette stitch after the rib..it is a good take along anywhere project..

I hope it comes out well enough to actually gift it to a nephew...


I also started a fish hat and am just about to work the tail...another gift..I hope..
a good project for practicing working on dpn's..  between this and working with sock yarn..I hope to try socks again soon!

We had a great nor'easter blow through this week...we had no damage from Sandy, but this gale did some damage..


Finally..Thank heavens the elections are over..If I had to endure another political ad..anywhere, I would have lost my mind!




and finally..
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Lest we never forget..  mary

4 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you as we heard about all the bad weather on the Eastern Coast. Glad to hear you came through okay.

    I can't imagine not sleeping well. I'm the much envied sort who's asleep when her head hits the pillow and wakes 8 hours later ready to spring into action. My best friend once said that "Sleep" was my strongest talent LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos at the top of the post, especially the cormorants - really made me smile.

    My husband isn't a great sleeper, it's a bonus if he's still in bed when I wake up.

    Beautiful hat knitting and well done with the sweater. I've never blocked anything that wasn't an accessory so can't help, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute fish hat. I too am glad the elections are over, but I fear there's still so much garbage going on with petitions of sore losers who says they wan to suceed. Give me a break people. Love the yellow and white, will make a nice sweater, but cotton doesn't hold it's shape very well does it? I would not want to block separately as I would be afraid you'd end up with different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally the opposite of you, I am dreadful in the evenings, normally dropping tired and most films I've watched I've not seen the end of....dreadful I know....when it comes to mornings, I find once I wake I can't get back to sleep....hubby is normally fast asleep and there is no sense of get up and go with him!

    Love the yellow in your jumper, really pretty....I am rubbish at blocking, but to be honest it is well worth it when it comes to garments...I think I'm right in saying that there is not much give/stretch in cotton, so blocking may not make a big difference in size, however, I'm sure matching up both sides for seaming will be easier once blocked, so that it's not curling or anything....of course, i'm not at all experienced, so I may be talking rubbish!

    ReplyDelete